Monday, February 11, 2013

Time

There are lots of things that keep people from following their dreams. Security. Money. Commitment. Support. Time. Fear. These are all very legitimate reasons to do the safe thing and stick with what you know. It is perfectly understandable and you can't blame someone for choosing the easy road. Or at least I can't; it sure took me long enough to start taking chances. 

I did eventually take the plunge. I did the hardest thing I have ever done and put myself out in the public eye for the whole world to love or criticize. And now I am about to take it a step further and set a new record for the hardest thing I have ever done. 

See, I have found that starting to do that thing you love is not nearly as difficult as continuing to do that thing you love. In my case it is writing. It truly makes me happy. I could spend hours and hours writing about just about anything and the time would fly by in the blink of an eye. But, unfortunately, I do not have hours and hours. Though I don't have a physical job, after a full day of work, I do find myself exhausted. I get home and I am emotionally and mentally drained. I have to force myself to write and as you may or may not have noticed, I have not been doing a very good job lately. I have been posting less frequently and it frustrates me. 

My behavior has been unacceptable. If I hope to ever be even moderately successful, I have to be consistent. I have to post regularly and commit wholeheartedly to the writing process. An hour here and an hour there after work is not going to cut it. And so, this brings me to the next big terrifying event in my life. 

I am going to quit my job. The plunge I took a few months ago was a jump into a heated indoor pool. This jump is into the frigid North Atlantic. This is for real. I have decided that I am going to give my notice on Friday. Don't worry, I know how to swim and I have a life jacket and just enough skills to keep myself afloat . . . hopefully. 

Wish me luck and stay tune, things are about to get really interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment