Saturday, January 5, 2013

Introduction

Hello,
My name is Leigh Fischer. Well, sort of.

Let's try this again.




Hello,
I am a writer. I have always been a writer.

In the fifth grade for a school project I wrote, illustrated, and bound the first complete story within my memory. I'm sure there were other short stories that I had written, but the sheer amount of effort and interest required to produce the story sticks with me.

In middle school I was in a lunch time creative writing class. Few kids would choose additional homework and additional class time over their friends and lunch. Yea, I was a nerd. Still am.

In high school my electives were creative writing and film, which I excelled in, while I dropped out of the AP English classes and coasted my way through basic English. I barely survived the required reading lists and the monotony which is high school. I lacked the dedication and motivation required to pontificate on the meaning of Shakespeare and Steinbeck. I prided myself on the number of books I managed to not read while still passing.

It wasn't until college that I began to gain respect for my literary skills. I funded many of my liquor purchases by editing and even writing papers for my classmates. My scholarship essays never failed to produce funds for my education. I also ghost wrote three speeches that were delivered by local notables; a mayor, a US Senator, and the Governor.  

Following college I took a job that largely entailed technical writing. I have been praised by my colleagues and supervisors for my ability to "tell the story." Though it is a very dry story, I have performed well.

My friends, family, and colleagues have always claimed that I should write a book and be a writer. But as I have already said, I have always been a writer. What they have been really asking of me all these years is that I become an author.Until recently, I have laughed at them and told them being a writer would be irresponsible. Writing silly stories and doing what you enjoy does not pay the bills. But then the stars aligned, the right series of events occurred and I gave in to their demands. I became an author.

While Surviving the Apocalypse is my blog where I do my "author thing" and promote my novel and short stories, this blog will focus on the trials that I have encountered as I attempt to transition from being a writer to being an author.




No comments:

Post a Comment