Sunday, January 13, 2013

These kids are not the problem

This morning when I checked my Facebook feed I found a number of comments and posts related to an article in the Portland Press Herald about USN Films. Apparently, this small group of teenagers is stirring up controversy in Brunswick, Maine for the "graphic violence" depicted in their films. People are associating their films with the tragedy that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School and other mass shootings of late. And people ask me why I write under a pseudonym.


Though I only watched one video, I saw no difference between these young filmmakers and myself. They tell their stories through a different medium, but they are no more violent than the imagery in my prose. These kids have found an outlet for their creativity and are now being ostracized by the community for the form that it takes. 

These are not the kids that go out and commit crimes, these kids are socially involved (evidenced by the fact that were capable of coordinating such a large group effort). The time and effort required to put together even a short film indicates a level of creativity, intelligence, and skill that conflicts with the disturbed loner personality that is usually responsible for actual violence. I've said it before and I will say it again. Having a twisted imagination does not make us twisted fucks.

Likely, I will follow up with this post and discuss further, but I was so motivated by the article that I wanted to get something out quickly. Good luck guys, keep doing what you do. 


*** UPDATE ***


Yea these are some dangerous kids. Honor students. Eagle Scout candidates. Early acceptance to the US Naval Academy. Lock 'em up and throw away the key. We definitely do not need creative and entrepreneurial youths running amok in society. 

"We didn't really try to hide it. We didn't sneak in and try to film a video and get out. There was a librarian on site who knew we were filming. The library was open."

Hooligans! Next they'll be getting jobs and being productive members of the community. Where does the madness end?

No comments:

Post a Comment