Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Soul Suckers

Today I had a bit of a zombie apocalypse moment. I walked into work and found the office empty. Either I was missing a meeting or there had been some sort of apocalyptic event. As it turned out, it was the former; although sometimes I consider both options one and the same.

I know what you are thinking. Wait, why were you at work? Didn't you quit your job to write full time? Yeah, that's what I thought too. But, alas, I am a weak and soft creature; easily bent to the will of others. The evil overlords known as The Man convinced me to stay on board part time, at least on a trial basis for the next few months.

Naturally, they are in the dark as to the true reason why I couldn't continue to work (they are not worthy of knowing my secret identity). But they are willing to to provide me with a touch more flexibility in exchange for the continued leeching of my soul. How much is your soul worth? Apparently, mine is worth about 8 hours a week and health insurance.

So much for jumping into the frigid North Atlantic. I do have to say that this should prove to be an interesting test; to see if I can find a manageable balance of love and hate. But I have a sneaking suspicion that working part time and writing will be more challenging than working full time and sort of writing. Before the rules were simple: if you get home from work and your brain isn't fried, you write. Now I have no excuse. Now I actually have time that I am supposed to dedicate to my writing. Gah! That's a scary thought.

Looking at my recent past performance (my last update to Surviving the Apocalypse was exactly a month ago) I recognize that time (or lack there of) is not the only problem. As much as a flexible, carefree artist (not that these are adjectives I use to describe myself) hates to admit it, deadlines and schedules are important for being successful at actually producing anything.

Nearly 10 years in a structured environment has taught me that I perform best under pressure with deadlines looming. So, my first order of business is to apply that knowledge, take my own damn advice, and set some deadlines.

1. This blog will now be updated bi-weekly; no later that 10 PM EST on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

2. Surviving the Apocalypse will be updated weekly; no later than 10 PM EST on Sundays.

3. My exclusivity agreement with Amazon has expired. I will get Rising Tide updated and back on B&NSmashwords, and Good Reads by the end of the month.

There, it's in writing. That makes it law . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment